We humans are strange beings. We like living and yet we do everything we can to die. Taking things as they are, not thinking too much, just staying cool while the universe explodes besides you, could be part of a Zen teaching. But this is not a Zen teaching. This is the Frappe Philosophy. Many could be laughing at this article, but why would you laugh at someone who just wants to be happy? Life is not about Word, Excel, loans, statistics, economics, chemical compounds or politics. True life is about Being. And only while non-thinking has been embedded in your brain’s system can you actually get closer to what “Is” really is… Monks and mystics are doing this for thousands of years. You too can do it for a short period of time with a frappe coffee in your hand while besides a Greek beach. Sit, stir your frappe with the straw in small circles and stare at the sea… Do nothing. And you will understand that this is one of the best things you ever did…
This is how you should prepare a good frappe coffee (Gr. ΦΡΑΠΕΣ!):
- Put coffee and sugar in a shaker (1.5 small spoon of coffee and 2 small spoons of sugar will do for a medium-sweet coffee). Use INSTANT Greek nescafe.
- Put some water in the shaker. Not too much, not too little. The water should be about 3 fingers high in a small coffee shaker, just covering the coffee-sugar mix you inserted in the previous step. Practice makes perfect in that stage. You should have enough water so that adequate foam (Gr. ΑΦΡΟΣ!) is created in the next step.
- Shake. Shake. Shake! Shake it until adequate foam (of good uniform quality – beware of not shaking too much thus resulting in a “solid” foam) is created.
- Pour the foam/coffee created in a glass. Use a straight medium-tall glass (weird-shaped glasses disrupt the movement of the straw).
- Pour some more water in the shaker to acquire the last remnants of foam from the shaker into the glass.
- Put 2 (or 1 if it is winter time) ice cubes in the glass. The ice cubes help the foam to remain in good condition that will then support the circular motion of the straw. Too many icecubes result in bad (watery) foam and coffee quality.
- Put milk if you wish.
- Fill up with water until the glass is full.
- Go to relax. Move the straw in small circular motions while not-thinking…
Do not make the mistake of taking this post JUST as a funny article. If you have not ever thought of relaxing and doing nothing with a frappe in your hand, then you have not lived at all… Do not trust me. Check it out for your self.
Θες μια… ΦΡΑΠΑ;